Identify Bed Bugs In Your Boston Home
Bed bugs are among the most dreaded pest infestations a homeowner can face and many don't know how to correctly identify them. Adult bed bugs are oval, flat, approximately 1/5-inch-long, and brownish-red or translucent in color (depending on their last feeding). Their nymphs appear identical to the adults, but smaller in size. Bed bugs feed on people at night when they are asleep and hide in mattresses and box springs, cracks in bed frames, under loose wallpaper, behind picture frames, and inside furniture and upholstery. These insects are commonly found in areas where people spend most of their time: on mattresses, box springs, bed frames, and couches.
GET HELP TODAY
When Should You Call A Bed Bug Exterminator?
Bed bugs are experts at hiding and often homeowners don't even realize they have an infestation until it's grown to be a sizeable problem. If you suspect a bed bug problem in your home, you'll want to act fast in order to control the spread and get bed bug removal. Signs of a bed bug infestation include:
- Bed bug molts or skins (their exoskeletons).
- Fecal stains on your bedding or mattress pad (dark red to brown in color).
- Very small white eggs that are oval-shaped (slightly smaller than a grain of rice).
- Bloodstains on your skin, pajamas, or bed linens.
- Red itchy bites on your skin.
Where do you find bed bugs?
When not feeding, bed bugs typically hide around the bed; they can be found near the seams, piping, and tags of the mattress and box spring. Bed bugs also like to hide in cracks and joints on the bed frame and headboard. When a room is heavily infested, you may find bed bugs in these areas:
- Inside any gap or folds on furniture, fabric, or curtains.
- Around electrical outlets and devices.
- In stored items around or underneath the bed.
- Behind loose wallpaper and pictures.
- Inside bureaus and nightstands.
- On clothes, shoes, or other items stored in the closet.
- Inside any gaps in the floors or walls.
Don't Risk Bed Bugs Spreading, Let the Pros Handle It!
Most over-the-counter products available on the market for bed bugs are simply not effective. Do-it-yourself sprays and bombs are unable to penetrate hard-to-reach areas where bed bugs lay their eggs, leading to another infestation when the eggs hatch. At Clancy Bros. Pest Control, we work efficiently to identify and remove bed bugs with as little disruption to your schedule as possible.
CONTACT US TODAY
Proven Bed Bug Treatment Procedure Over 60 Years
One of our trained bed bug exterminators will perform an extensive inspection of your home or business (this includes beds, furniture, linens, and other places they may hide).
- We schedule the first knockdown treatment to greatly reduce the initial population.
- Follow-up services are scheduled until the infestation is resolved (2-3 visits).
- Mattress encasements are highly recommended during the treatment to eliminate potential bed bug nesting sites deep within the mattresses and box springs.
How to Prepare For Your Bed Bug Treatment
Pre-Treatment Steps to Follow
It is extremely important to prepare the bedrooms, living rooms, and nearby closets for bed bugs because they hide and feed in areas where you spend most of your time. Please follow these steps before your home is treated by one of our expert bed bug exterminators in Boston:
- All bed linens, pillowcases, bed skirts, etc should be removed, cleaned, and bagged: Only a bare mattress and box spring should remain on the bed frame to be treated.
- All clothing and fabric-related items from dressers, shelves, and nightstands must be removed, cleaned, and bagged. The bed bug technicians will need to pull out all drawers to ensure a thorough application of this furniture.
- Items like shoes, handbags, or loose personal items on the floor, under the bed, in closets, or in bureaus and nightstands must be removed and bagged. Ask about Nuvan Strips for hard-to-treat areas/items.
- All curtains and draperies should be removed and cleaned. Blinds, shades, and other solid surface window treatments can stay for the treatment.
- Plush items such as pillows, stuffed animals, etc. should be put through a cycle in the dryer.
- When laundering clothes or anything that may contain bed bugs, be careful not to contaminate other places.
- Use heavy-duty plastic bags tied tightly and please remember to discard bags after each use.
- Be ready to have all people and pets vacate the premises before the treatment and remain out of the treated areas for at least 4 hours after the treatment is completed.
- All items should remain bagged if possible.
- All pictures and artwork should be removed from the walls.
- Any desks and shelves in bedrooms and living room areas should be cleared out for treatment.
Please download the Bed Bug Prep Sheet here!
Active Guard Mattress Liners are Available!
We are now offering the installation of Active Guard Mattress encasements in the Greater Boston area. These pyrethrum-treated bed bug mattress liners further help prevent and control bed bug infestations and we provide warranty coverage for 90 days if they are used in conjunction with our treatment.
Areas We Provide Bed Bug Treatment
Clancy Brothers Pest Control is proud to offer services in the Greater Boston Area for over 60 years. When it comes to bed bug treatments, these are some of the areas where we have professionals to help: