6 Natural Ways to Keep Hornets and Wasps Away from Your Boston Home
If you're a resident of Boston, you know that summertime can be a real pain. Not only is it hot and humid, but you also have to deal with all of the insects that come out to play. Hornets and wasps are two of the most common pests in this area, and they can be a real headache to get rid of. In this blog post, we will discuss seven ways to keep these pests away from your home!
How are wasps and hornets different?
Wasps are aggressive and are known to sting humans if they feel threatened. Hornets, on the other hand, are not as aggressive and will only sting humans if they are provoked. In terms of appearance, they are both similar in that they are black and yellow. However, hornets are larger than wasps and have a more rounded body.
6 Natural ways to get rid of Wasps and Hornets
Here is a list of six natural things you can do to get rid of wasps and hornets:
- Remove their food sources: Before you do anything, you want to find the reason they are visiting your home. Are there any food sources that are attracting them? Once you identify what it is, get rid of it and clean the area. This will help get rid of Wasps and Hornets. They love sugary things like soda, so get rid of anything that might be attracting them. They also love protein, so get rid of any pet food that might be outside.
- Don't leave trash cans open: Another way to get rid of wasps and hornets is by sealing your trash cans. This is similar to what we just said. Wasps and hornets are attracted to the smell of food, so if you seal your trash cans, they will be less likely to come near your home. Not only trash cans, but compost bins can also attract wasps and hornets. So, it’s better to keep them sealed as well.
- Change your outdoor light bulbs: Another thing that you can do to keep wasps and hornets away from your home is by changing your outdoor light bulbs. Wasps and hornets are attracted to light, so if you change your light bulbs to yellow or sodium vapor lights, they will be less attracted to your home.
- Plant mint: Mint is a great way to keep wasps and hornets away. You can plant it in your garden or in pots around your home. Their strong scent is the reason why they don’t like it and it will keep them away. Planting mint in your garden will also help to keep other pests away.
- Peppermint oil: Wasps and hornets hate the smell of peppermint oil! So, take a cotton ball soaked in peppermint oil and place it near areas where you've seen wasps and hornets. You can also add a few drops of peppermint oil to a spray bottle filled with water and use it to spray areas. Cinnamon and cloves are effective in keeping wasps and hornets away as well.
- Use traps: There are various types of traps available in the market that you can use to get rid of wasps and hornets. Some of the commonly used ones are wasp traps, yellow jacket traps, etc. These wasp traps work on hornets as well. You can also make your own traps at home using different things like soda bottles, mason jars, etc. All you need to do is cut the top off the bottle and turn it upside down, then fill these containers or bottles with a sweet liquid like honey or sugar water. Keep them near the areas where you usually find wasps and hornets. The pests will be attracted to the sweet smell and will get trapped inside. You can choose any one of them according to your convenience.
What smell do wasps and hornets hate?
Wasps and hornets hate the smell of mint. You can plant mint around your house or keep a pot of mint near the areas where these pests are usually found. This will help to keep them away from those areas. You can also use peppermint oil as it has the same effect. Just take a few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place it near their nest.
How do you get rid of wasp and hornet nests?
If you find a wasp or hornet nest in your house, then the best thing to do is to get rid of it. You can do this by using a spray. There are many sprays available in the market that can help you get rid of these nests. Just make sure that you use the spray according to the instructions given on the label.
You can also get rid of wasp and hornet nests by using a vacuum cleaner. Just make sure that you don't use a powerful one as it can damage the nests. If you want to be extra careful, then you can even cover the vacuum cleaner with a cloth so that the wasps and hornets don't get sucked into it.
The best thing to do will be to take professional help so you keep yourself and your family safe. Pest control companies have the right equipment and knowledge to get rid of these pests. They will also be able to give you advice on how to keep wasps and hornets away from your home in the future.
How do you stop wasps and hornets from coming back?
By now you should have an understanding of the things that attract wasps and hornets. You can ensure that you don't see these uninvited guests again by keeping your house free from these things. If you have done all of it, it is very unlikely that you see them again.
However, sometimes these pests can be very persistent. In this case, you may need to get professional help to get rid of them for good. Clancy Brothers Pest Control has the best-experienced wasp and hornet exterminators that use a low-toxicity residual insecticide and remove any nests.
Give us a call today at 617-404-9919 to schedule an estimate for controlling your stinging insect issue.